Monday, January 16, 2012

Blessed With a Friend

I recently rediscovered a private blog from a few years ago, and it reminded me of the passion I had for my overseas home. It's been rekindled to at least some degree, which I needed.
Due to missing my overseas home, I called one of the young ladies at my college who also lived overseas, saying that I was having an "mk moment". It turned out to be a real blessing. We discovered that we had both needed someone we could talk to about our past adventures who would understand the perspective behind it. It was wonderful.
Most Americans don't understand that once one has been overseas for an extended period of time, it completely changes one's perspective of the world. The American dream comes across as boring. One wishes (especially at our age) that more time were spent on talking about things not nearly so meaningless as video games and television shows. (Now, there is a time and a place for such things, but at our age, people talk about such things far too often.) One finds small reminders of past experiences much more meaningful. One's whole worldview is affected. That is why my friend and I feel very blessed to have found one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment