Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Blessed With Honorable Men

This semester, I have been taking a peace and social justice/religion class on nonviolence. Sexual harassment was brought up, and it got me thinking hard afterward. Sexual harassment is a horrible thing, no matter what some may say. It's amazing what peer pressure can do, though. I have been sexual harassed before, but statements like, "Where's your sense of humor?" "You're so innocent," and, "My head is so much deeper in the gutter than yours," pressured me to stay quiet. 
I came to terms with what the above situation was and became overwhelmed with gratefulness that things are so much different at my college. The men at my school are truly honorable. So, I wrote this poem. 

Because they are watchful
I don't walk in fear.
They keep their eyes open
So that I can blink.
Their respect for me
Means my good night's rest.
I don't need both mace and knife
By my side during the day,
And at night, they replace my weapons.
Their presence scares the shadows.
They don't have to hold my hand,
Though an arm is offered in the cold.
The unskypable silence is all I need
To know they'll be soldiers for me.
Daddy amassed an army here
Of men who love purity.
Every woman is a precious jewel to them.
To taint us would be a crime.
With a solemn vow they leave unspoken
They watch with keen eyes.
Quiet as lambs, they become our friends.
Alert as hawks, they listen for danger.
Fearless as lions, they put our safety before theirs. 

Ladies, if you have men in your life who protect you, be grateful. You are immensely blessed. If you don't know if they protect you, think about this: Do they walk you back to your dorm when it's dark? Do they ask about how you're doing? Do they quietly watch someone who potentially has a crush on you when they think you're not looking? Watch and see. You might be surprised how many are protecting you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment